Postwar American Television
This is the first set sold (1955) that used a wireless remote. The hand held unit (a flashlight with a momentary on switch) was aimed at either the volume knob or the channel selector knob to adjust the volume or change the channel. Photoelectric cells in the set responded to light from the remote control. The system didn't work well - ambient light would trigger the photocells. Earlier remotes were wired to the set, and later remote controls used ultrasonic technology, and then infrared light technology. Here is a history of the development of remote controls from Zenith.
This set was donated to the museum by Steven Hall of Farmington Hills, Michigan.
Courtesy of Eric Hill