In March of 1934, Russia's first domestic television set was produced at the at the Kozitskogo radio factory in Leningrad. The set consisted of a mechanical Nipkow scanning disk, a radio receiver for the visual information, and a synchronizing unit. The set was designed be sold to radio amateurs to test reception of 30 line transmissions from Moscow. It was also available as a kit.
The sound of the telecast was received by the ''ECHS-2'' receiver which had been made in the Moselektrik plant since 1932. The loudspeaker was a "Zarya" model, made in the Kalinin plant in Moscow. (The photograph shows the complete set - audio receiver and speaker on top). Both video and audio channels were in the medium wave range. Images were orange in color, since a neon lamp served as the light source. The size of the image with the magnifying lens was 30 x 40 mm. The television set had tuning knobs for frequency, brightness and synchronization. The dimension of the receiver was 270 x 320 x 200 mm. It weighed 8 kg.