Early Television
Early Television
Early Television
Early Television
Early Television Early Television

Early Television Stations

WBNS-TV Columbus, Ohio

In 1933, WCAH Radio is purchased by the Wolfe family, owners of The Columbus Dispatch and WBNS radio. With the intention of making this a television station, they change the station’s call letters to those used for WBNS radio, derived from the historical Wolfe family businesses — banks, newspapers and shoes — hence, Wolfe’s Banks News & Shoes.

In January of 1948, with Channels 3 (now 4) and 6 already assigned to the Columbus market, The Wolfe family applies for an FCC license to operate WBNS Television on Channel 10. Ground is broken for the studio and transmitter building at 525 Olentangy River Rd. The station starts with 24,300 watts of power. The building is 142 by 62 feet. WBNS radio had been a CBS affiliate for almost 20 years, so Channel 10 immediately joins the CBS television network.

In August,the first antenna is erected — a 595-foot tower. WBNS-TV inaugurates its regular programming with coverage of the 1949 World Series between the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers in October.

Here is an article in the Columbus Dispatch about the stations's history.